Procera enables mobile service providers to manage and monetize mobile tethering detection and service plans with market-proven intelligent policy enforcement solutions.
While tablets, e-readers, and other portable devices are exploding in popularity, many do not have separate cellular data plans. Instead, many mobile subscribers are “tethering” these devices to their smartphones via cable, Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi connection using the built-in capabilities of mobile operating systems. Tethering consumes broadband differently than simple smartphones, so mobile operators need to ensure their networks can deliver Quality of Experience (QoE) in spite of the increased usage. Unrestricted or unauthorized tethering places increased burdens on mobile networks, without generating revenue, and mobile operators are looking for solutions to manage or monetize tethering.
How can mobile operators manage and monetize tethering detection? They need solutions that enable them to:
- Detect and block unauthorized tethering in their networks
- Know how much data authorized tethering subscribers are using and enforce limits and fair use policies
- Monetize tethering features as part of a service bundle
The Procera Solution
Procera enables mobile service providers to realize their tethering detection strategies with real-time Intelligent Policy Enforcement (IPE) solutions that provide three key use cases:
- Awareness of activity in the mobile service network to detect authorized and unauthorized tethering behavior. Our IPE solution enables session-based subscriber awareness—including subscriber (IMSI) and device (IMEI) identification, location (ULI), service plan information, and subscriber session connectivity with key network elements.
- Blocking tethering, both authorized and unauthorized, to protect operator profitability. Leveraging Procera’s industry-leading DRDL (Datastream Recognition Definition Language) technology, our IPE solution enforces tethering detection policies, redirecting subscribers to a portal to purchase a tethering plan, or blocking if the user continues to violate the Terms of Service.
- Monetization of tethering services through flexible service plans that offer subscriber value. Our IPE solution enables mobile operators to offer a variety of personalized subscriber options, including offering tethering as part of an existing plan or as a stand-alone plan, time-of-day-based tethering, specified tethering bandwidth limitations, and more.
<< PacketLogic for Mobile Service Providers