Procera enables independent service providers to implement effective peering management strategies with market-proven intelligent policy enforcement solutions.
Broadband Peering Management
Network operators spend a great deal of money on their peering links to ensure their subscribers have low-latency access to the content they consume on a regular basis. Understanding which applications are driving bandwidth consumption on these links is crucial for optimizing CAPEX, as it does not make sense to purchase more bandwidth for applications that are neither mission-critical or latency-sensitive. Yet the sheer number of uplinks in large-scale networks and the added complexity of asymmetrical data flows that exceed the identification capabilities of standard router-based flow sampling solutions makes this extremely challenging.
How can broadband operators implement effective peering management strategies in their networks? They need solutions that enable them to:
- Monitor huge volumes of network traffic, including asymmetric data flows, in a granular way to pinpoint applications that consume excessive traffic volume
- Manage traffic in real time according to predetermined policies, in order to mitigate impact on bandwidth and QoS
- Provide detailed peering analysis for all peering connections, with visibility into transit versus origin, number of transit hops, QoE across peering links, peak usage versus volume, and other detailed information
The Procera Solution
Procera enables broadband operators to manage threats more effectively with real-time Intelligent Policy Enforcement (IPE) solutions that provide three key use cases:
- Awareness of network uplink traffic down to a granular level. Our IPE solution provides awareness of all subscriber data and activity, as well as device, application type, location, and more. It provides complete visibility into peering statistics, including transit traffic versus origin traffic, depth of peering, QoE, peak usage, etc.—both in real time and historically.
- Detection of applications on the peering links, including asymmetric traffic flows, in real time. By analyzing destinations for each service and flow, our IPE system provides important insights into upstream routing preferences and utilization—such as differentiating between on-net vs. off-net and domestic vs. international traffic—scaling across multiple systems, regardless of geographical systems.
- Management of traffic in real time, according to established policies. Our IPE system can perform a variety of traffic management functions, including alerting threat mitigation systems, traffic shaping to prioritize real-time traffic, limiting cost during peak usage, and safeguarding QoS.
<< PacketLogic™ for Independent Service Providers