Procera enables independent service providers to manage network usage and shape network traffic effectively with market-proven intelligent policy enforcement solutions.
Broadband Network Usage Management
Traffic on broadband networks cannot always be treated equally. Some types of traffic consume large amounts of bandwidth and can negatively affect critical services like VOIP, including 911 emergency traffic. Network attacks can cause a massive degradation in network performance and block access to all traffic for subscribers. Activity such as peer-to-peer (P2P) content sharing may be restricted by acceptable use policies (AUP) and consume excessive network resources. Left unchecked, some of these traffic types can create network congestion that affects all subscribers, especially during peak usage hours.
How can broadband service providers manage network usage more effectively? They need solutions that enable them to:
- Track usage patterns in detail, identifying subscribers, applications, devices, and times associated with the greatest bandwidth consumption
- Prioritize and manage available bandwidth to ensure high Quality of Experience (QoE) for all subscribers and real-time applications
- Block traffic that violates Acceptable Use Policies (AUP) or may be restricted by regulatory bodies
The Procera Solution
Procera enables broadband network operators to optimize network usage management with real-time Intelligent Policy Enforcement (IPE) solutions that provide three key use cases:
- Awareness of network usage to a granular level. Our IPE solution provides real-time awareness of subscriber ID, service plan, bandwidth usage, device, location, application type, and more. Service providers can view subscriber or service plan usage on an hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly basis to spot critical trends.
- Volume-based shaping, modifying available bandwidth in real time based on subscriber or application usage. Unlike competing solutions, Procera introduces the concept of a “sliding window” over a specified duration, shaping bandwidth according to a subscriber’s usage patterns over the specific duration. This helps eliminate network traffic peaks, while optimizing bandwidth availability for subscribers. It also enables very flexible fair usage policies that can scale to millions of active subscribers.
- Blocking of restricted or unauthorized traffic. Our IPE solution enables connection logging to provide detailed connection information for each session, enabling rapid compliance if served with a legal request for a specific user’s activity on your network.
<< PacketLogic™ for Independent Service Providers