Procera enables educational institutions to perform DMCA and HEOA compliance auditing with market-proven intelligent policy enforcement solutions.
DMCA/HEOA Compliance Auditing
Regulations like the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and the Education Opportunities Act (HEOA) have put campus network administrators at the front line of copyright piracy enforcement. Educational institutions are required to have a plan for mitigating the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) protocols responsible for the majority of this activity.
How can education institutions block illegal file sharing and ensure DMCA and HEOA compliance? They need solutions that enable them to:
- Monitor network traffic and recognize activity that may be violating piracy laws
- Manage suspicious traffic to minimize potential infringements
- Respond to DMCA and HEOA violation notices with forensic capabilities
The Procera Solution
Procera enables education institutions to limit their piracy exposure with real-time Intelligent Policy Enforcement (IPE) solutions that provide three key use cases:
- Detection of potentially non-compliant activity, in real time, according to defined policies. Our SmartCampus solution provides granular awareness of users, applications, devices, location, and more. It analyzes traffic against a comprehensive library of application signatures to detect suspected piracy activity. The system correlates IP address to the user’s identity, simplifying the task of identifying suspected violators and taking appropriate action.
- Management of suspicious traffic to minimize potential violations—including blocking and quarantining users. If desired, the user can be redirected to a captive portal that notifies them of the prohibited activity, requiring user acknowledgement and corrective action before access is restored. Flexible policy control permits a wide range of responses.
- Auditing of activity to create a comprehensive forensic record. Our SmartCampus solution enables logging and auditing of individual user IDs in real time, eliminating the time-consuming process of reconstructing events after the fact.
<< PacketLogic for Education Institutions