Procera enables educational institutions to implement effective peering management strategies with market-proven intelligent policy enforcement solutions.
Education networks frequently have two or more upstream providers, often with varying service levels and costs. For economic or network design reasons, it may be desirable to adjust border gateway protocol (BGP) policies to direct certain high-volume traffic over a specific upstream autonomous system (AS). While routers traditionally direct traffic according to IP prefixes learned through BGP, more sophisticated peering management can improve traffic efficiency and QoS for specific applications.
How can education institutions implement effective peering management strategies in their networks? They need solutions that enable them to:
- Monitor huge volumes of network traffic, including asymmetric data flows, in a granular way
- Manage traffic in real time according to predetermined policies, in order to mitigate impact on bandwidth and QoS
The Procera Solution
Procera enables education institutions to manage peering links more effectively with real-time Intelligent Policy Enforcement (IPE) solutions that provide three key use cases:
- Awareness of network uplink traffic down to a granular level. Our SmartCampus solution provides awareness of all subscriber data and activity, as well as device, application type, location, and more.
- Monitoring of network uplinks, including asymmetric traffic flows, in real time. By analyzing destinations for each service and flow, our SmartCampus system provides important insights into upstream routing preferences and utilization—such as differentiating between on-net vs. off-net and domestic vs. international traffic—scaling across multiple systems, regardless of geographical systems.
- Management of traffic in real time, according to established policies. Our SmartCampus system can act as BGP peers in passive mode, allowing preferred AS paths to be stored in relation to specific applications, users, or other criteria. Customized analytical reports that leverage BGP-AS path data enable further optimization, providing critical information for redefining network configuration.
<< PacketLogic for Education Institutions