Procera enables educational institutions to implement effective parental control strategies with market-proven intelligent policy enforcement solutions.
Parental Control: Regulatory Compliance
Educational institutions are under increasing demands to account for, regulate and log content that is accessed over their networks. While some schools may optionally choose to do so, others are under the strict guidelines put forth in the Child Internet Protection Act (CIPA) regulations. Existing purpose-built solutions provide some relief for blocking objectionable content, but many perform poorly and do not meet the growing expectations of today’s demanding networks. Additionally, these legacy solutions may have client dependencies. Given the explosion in device types such as BYOD as well as 1:1 (student:tablet) initiatives, these approaches are no longer helpful. As the industry-leader in inline intelligent policy enforcement solutions, Procera understands what this evolving and dynamic environment requires in terms of Parental Control.
How can Educational Institutions implement Content Intelligence in their networks to enforce Parental Control? They need solutions that enable them to:
- Recognize by category and source objectionable and offensive content
- Block content from getting to identified students or groups of students as needed
- Monitor and potentially block dynamic searches and content based on accurate categorization
- Maintain an up-to-date and dynamic service that can always identify the most current sources of this kind of content
The Procera Solution
Procera enables Educational Institutions to implement Parental Control in real-time with ContentLogic solutions that provide four key use cases:
- Awareness of content being accessed by students and academic users. Our ContentLogic solution determines the categories of content being accessed and compares that to lists that are updated daily of sites known for and classified as hosting objectionable content.
- Enforcement of access limitations to content that has been historically identified as a known purveyor objectionable content. Our ContentLogic solution applies user-aware policies to ensure that this content, whatever the specific category, is blocked from identified users. If desired, these policies may not only be targeted to specific students or administrative users but to certain devices as well.
- Control through consistent application of Content Intelligence, Educational Institutions can exert this control over students that could otherwise access suspect sites and be exposed to objectionable content.
- Regulatory Compliance that ensures access to objectionable content is limited through a service that remains up to date and “no-touch” from a user and device perspective.